POAH Communities is an exciting and highly entrepreneurial organization committed to community development and to preserving affordable rental housing. We are seeking a highly qualified individual to serve as Career Coach/Job Developer at our Woodlawn Resource Center in Chicago, IL. This individual will be responsible for implementing the employment services component of the services provided at the Center. The program model is a fully integrated model of programs which includes workforce development trainings and job placement services, individual supportive services, digital literacy offerings and financial coaching and asset-building services. The Career Coach will have the opportunity to play an integral role in impacting the lives of POAH Residents and the Woodlawn Park Community.
ABOUT WOODLAWN PARK COMMUNITY:
The Woodlawn Park Community is home to over 300 households and 600 residents, including over 200 youth. New and renovated Woodlawn Park properties are the focal point of this revitalized community, with a diverse offering of mixed-rate rental apartments that provide comfortable and affordable homes to the families and investors who are attracted to this neighborhood’s many amenities – lush parks, growing business opportunities, and the University of Chicago.
- Develop and maintain ongoing partnerships with a variety of industry employers and representatives to promote job placement.
- Explain the benefits to employers of training and support services provided by POAH Communities.
- Utilize a wide variety of methods to network with employers, including employer visits, job fairs, cold calls, etc.
- Facilitate job readiness training sessions, while integrating supportive services–digital literacy, financial services, and other supportive services
- Locate jobs for clients who have successfully completed training programs, and at-large clients.
- Collect data from employers related to job orders including employment verification; prepare forms and reports related to job placement activities.
- Conduct necessary follow-up after applicants are placed into employment and counsel clients on any problems in the workplace.
- Stay apprised of internet and job fair resources.
- Collaborate with FOC team members to assess qualifications for various job positions and develop individual employment strategies.
- Maintain appropriate data in POAH Communities’ client database: Salesforce/PI/Yardi
- Stay apprised of external programs that provide incentives to businesses to hire candidates and other programs that may assist Woodlawn residents.
- Track long term follow up services, including entering monthly case notes in Salesforce.
- Collect employment verification required by POAH Communities and other contractual obligations by funders.
- Submit required documentation to Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) monthly.
- Screen potential enrollees, complete necessary enrollment, placement and retention forms.
- Seek opportunities to enhance communications and to build collaborative relationships with supervisors, peers, subordinates and residents.
- Complete other tasks assigned by the Program Director or Director of Community Impact.
- Coordinate hiring events for the Woodlawn Resource Center
Reporting to the Program Director of Woodlawn Resource Center, the successful candidate will thrive in a team oriented environment and should possess the following:
- Solid verbal, written and customer service communication skills
- Confidence in creating effective solutions for how to deal with challenges or problems
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite and basic computer functions
- Knowledge in data collection and analysis
- Ability to motivate individuals and groups to actively participate and take leadership in efforts to improve the community and increase self-determination
- Bachelor degree in a related field. Master degree strongly preferred.
- Five years prior work experience in community development or social service program development and three years in program.
- Comfortable working within and being a part of a cohesive team is a must
If you are interested and meet the requirements, we encourage you to apply by using the following link:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include full health and life insurance, a generous earned leave program, and a 401k retirement plan with company match.