POAH Communities – an exciting and highly entrepreneurial organization committed to community development, preservation, and quality management of ‘at risk’ affordable rental housing is seeking a highly qualified Vice President of Operations. Based in Boston, POAH Communities manages nearly 9,000 affordable rental homes for families and seniors in nine states and the District of Columbia.
About the Opportunity
The Vice President of Operations will report to the Senior Vice President/Chief Operating Officer. This individual will supervise a team of Regional Property Supervisors who manage a portfolio of affordable housing developments in the Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire and Connecticut areas. He/she will exhibit a genuine interest for those of lower income who rely on affordable rental housing and be responsible for the oversight of successful operations against a set of benchmarks established by POAH Communities.
- Demonstrate a high level of property management expertise, analytical ability, financial acumen, customer service and real estate software knowledge.
- Partner with Regional Property Supervisor to recruit, train, motivate and retain the highest caliber property management staff within the assigned portfolio.
- Provide support to ensure the success of the portfolio and to help make POAH Communities a leading multifamily property management company in the industry.
- Have the desire and ability to motivate self as well as a team of Regional Property Supervisors and grow them into leaders.
- Create effective solutions for how to deal with challenges or problems related to staffing or overall property management.
- Develop policies, processes and procedures and implement throughout the portfolios.
- Make certain that contracts are professionally prepared and that adequate engineering specifications are contractually incorporated for all major repair work undertaken on site.
- Establish positive, productive relationships with all funding/regulatory agencies which support the residents and the communities in all portfolios.
- Schedule and prepare thorough updates of property status and special issues in meetings with ownership and POAH Communities leadership team.
- Oversee the annual operating budget for the assigned portfolios and meet annual goals as established by ownership.
- Assist in preparing annual budgets, business plans and forecasting throughout the year.
- Responsible for monthly financial review, budget development, invoice approvals and understanding of annual budgets.
- Complete other tasks assigned by the Senior Vice President/Chief Operating Officer and the POAH Communities President.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Minimum of I0 years of experience in property management, asset management, development and related fields (project finance, construction and acquisition/rehab)
- Knowledge of HUD regulations, forms, inspection criteria and processes and the low income housing tax credit program.
- Ability to understand financial statements and accounting as it relates to apartment operations.
- Proficiency in use of computers including Word and Excel and other software used by POAH Communities for financial reporting (Yardi).
- Ability to work periodic flexible hours and travel by plane and automobile is required. Ability to travel up to 50% to visit various properties in portfolio.
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills.
- Proven success for building and sustaining strong relationships with team members, partners and community stakeholders.
- Education: B.A. or B.S. preferred.
Salaries are competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include health, dental, vision and life insurance, a wellness program, and a 401k plan with a matching component.
Interested individuals should send a resume with letter of application to email@example.com. POAH COMMUNITIES is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
POAH Communities has specialized in the professional management of affordable multifamily housing for more than 25 years. Initially founded as Midland Property Management, Inc., POAH Communities became part of the Preservation of Affordable Housing, Inc. (“POAH") family in 2001, and currently manages close to 9,000 affordable housing apartments in Connecticut, the District of Columbia, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, New Hampshire and Rhode Island. POAH Communities has 350 staff members and maintains offices in Kansas City, Boston and Chicago.